5 Do’s And Don’ts After An Asphalt Paving Project
If you just had your parking lot or driveway paved, you may be wondering what the next steps are post-paving and how to maintain the newly paved surface.
Follow these 5 steps to ensure the longevity of your quality asphalt pavement.
1) Wait at least 24 hours before driving on the new surface. Wait longer during hot weather. The asphalt mixes contain a high quantity of oil to help ensure a longer-lasting formula. The cure time, or the time it takes for a material to harden, is slightly longer for this product.
2) During the first few months, make sure the vehicle’s wheels are rolling before turning the steering wheel. After driving at highway speeds, always park the car in a straight line after coming to a slow stop. Small things like this will help extend the life of your asphalt pavement for years to come.
3) Don’t park in the exact same spot every time or you may leave impressions, or create low spots in the asphalt. For vehicles or trailers that are parked and not moved for several days at a time, place a piece of plywood under the tongue. Place a pad under the wheels as well if the vehicle or trailer will stay in one place for a very long time. Lawn furniture can also ‘dent’ the surface, so consider the above suggestions to protect your asphalt surface.
4) Use a ‘sifted’ topsoil and seed, if sod isn’t used, for landscaping alongside your new asphalt. Some soils react with the asphalt and may cause minor flaking at the bevel edge. This is a normal reaction and is non-structural.
5) Do not sealcoat the new asphalt for at least one year. Various products and additives used by other outside seal-coaters can cause cracking or other conditions. Have your driveway or parking lot sealcoated every 2-3 years, with any cracks being filled and repaired every year.
At Colorado Asphalt Works, Inc. , we stand behind our work, guaranteeing labor and materials for one year. For further questions on post-paving procedures, or to have your parking lot or driveway paved or sealcoated, contact the experts at Colorado Asphalt Works, Inc.
We make the complicated seem simple. Let us help you improve your property!
Call us today for a free evaluation and estimate 303-364-7569
Be Safe & Take care, and thanks for reading! - Colorado Asphalt Works Inc friends and family